Saturday, April 08, 2006

When Beth Orton quote Neil Young


Taken from Heart of Soul a song from her last and beautiful studio release Comfort of Strangers, which features production by Jim O’Rourke – hey Jim, why is it very low in sound so we have to turn the stereo up to hear it properly ? – Beth Orton said :

Magpies and maelstroms
Always hard hitting hailstorms
No blame no forgiveness
We consent and we complete this
And we, we dance at the precipice
When we get close like this
You can’t put out a fire with no crocodile
And me, I’m laying face down
So tell me what Neil Young said
You pick a flower then it’s dead


Guess Beth has in mind Neil Young’s Love Is a Rose from Decade, also sung by Linda Ronstadt:

Love is a rose but you better not pick it
It only grows when it's on the vine.
A handful of thorns and you'll know you've missed it
You lose your love when you say the word "mine".

Who also quote Neil Young? As far as I remember:

· Lynyrd Skynyrd, of course, in Sweet Home Alabama (Second Helping – 1974): I Heard Mister Young sing about her… Well, I hope, Neil Young will remember…
· Sonic Youth, in Crème Brûlèe (Dirty – 1992): last night I dreamed I kissed Neil Young if I was a boy I guess it would be fun.
· Bob Dylan, in High Lands (Time Out Of Mind – 1997): I’m listening to Neil Young, I gotta turn up the sound.

Any one else?

You can listen to Heart of Soul in :http://www.myspace.com/bethorton

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't you know this belgian band called "hey hey my my" ? They surely quote Neil in every lyrics of them... http://www.myspace.com/heyheymymyband They're the side project from British Hawaï guys.

B

10:28 PM  
Blogger leaky sparrow said...

Yes I know them but not so much, I have to check the lyrics. Thanks B !

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a quote from Innocence Mission that says Neil Young. Two different songs, too. and I' too lazy to go find out which or what. Trust me though.

11:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's Hayden's Neil Youg song, Permission to Breathe's "Leaning on Neil Young soul", and probably a lot more.

7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lucinda williams also sings about turning NY up on the radio. shooter jennings mentions NY in put the o back in country

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob Dylan wants to be Forever Young...I know, I know...

11:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

rolex watches,rolex,watches for men,watches for women,omega watches,replica watches,rolex watches for sale,rolex replica,rolex watch,cartier watches,rolex submariner,fake rolex,rolex replica watches,replica rolex
polo ralph lauren
discount ugg boots
canada goose outelt
michael kors wallet sale
tommy hilfiger
ysl outlet
air force 1 shoes
ugg outlet uk
fred perry polo shirts
coach outlet store
coach outlet store
mulberry uk
ray ban sunglasses
tods shoes
celine outlet
michael kors outlet sale
hollister uk
moncler outlet store
kobe shoes
1202minko

7:31 AM  
Blogger menna said...

ارخص شركة تنظيف فلل في الشارقة
افضل شركة تعقيم فلل وقصور بالبخار في الشارقة
شركات تنظيف الفلل في الشارقة
شركة تنظيف مطابخ وإزالة الدهون بالشارقة
شركات تنظيف المطابخ وإزالة الدهون بالشارقة
افضل شركة تنظيف مطابخ وإزالة الدهون بالشارقة

12:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeezy 350
kyrie 7 shoes
off white
curry shoes
hermes handbags
nike sb
yeezy gap
kyrie irving shoes
supreme outlet
golden goose sneakers

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

javascript hit counter