Friday, December 01, 2006

Stars 'n Barzin


"Slow and melancholic, introspective and confessional". I got that off the Barzin web site and I can't think of a better way to describe this Toronto musician, his band and their music. Many songs clock in at 50 BPM (beats per minute) and that’s slow friends (Hey Jude is about 80 BPM!). Hey, I'm not knocking it. It's special, unique and lovely to hear believe me. I've come to really appreciate Barzin latest CD My Life In Rooms (April 2006) on Monotreme Records. A rich and rewarding listening experience if you handle the mood.
For this night at the Triptyque in Paris (November, 14), I felt sure it would be packed but apparently not so many folks know this band. Barzin was 3rd up and there was only about 25 people. Inside the Triptyque can sound good or bad depending on who's running the mixing board I guess but tonight it was very good. Accompanied by drums, bass, electric guitar/lap-steel and vibraphonist/saw player, he was sounding much like the record although the vibraphone player told they had only been recently hired for the European touring. (I guess the guitar player is his regular partner?). Barzin kinda made an excuse at the end of his show, apologizing for "not knowing any rock and roll songs" to play for folks. I felt this sentiment was misplaced though. He should take a line from Popeye the Sailor-man and just say "I yam what I yam"!
Very nice show and worth the effort to see the next time he comes through. This guy will be around for a while I'm quite confident of. How many rock and roll bands can say that?
Bookerfatz2

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

javascript hit counter