Monday, January 28, 2008

Eleni Mandell - Iron & Wine @ The Divan


Mainly focused on the presence of Chan Marshall in Paris last week, I almost forgot to tell you that I went to the Divan du Monde few days before to hear Eleni Mandell (Saturday 19).
As the support act of Iron & Wine, I was quite interested to see her performing live. All I had in my hands before the show was a recording of a Morning Becomes Eclectic show on KCRW from 2003, her country period (Country For True Lovers). Besides, I must admit that I just heard here and there few of her studio recordings without giving much attention. Anyway, I wanted to see the lady playing live and it was the main reason I came to the Divan that night.
Her show was pretty imposing. Eleni Mandell stood alone with her small guitar in front of a quiet and respectful audience – I mean the audience who was in the front… Of course, she played mainly songs from her latest CD (Miracle Of Live, February 2007), her 6th. Between, she always tried to correspond with the listeners, mainly in French (she is in Paris right now to learn the language). She even covered a song from George Brassens (sorry, I forgot the title). All in all, everybody enjoyed, and I must confirm that it was a very pleasant performance. Eleni Mandell proved that she is solid singer-songwriter that deserves more attention from me. After her set, I had the chance to exchange few words with Eleni about her forthcoming album and I bought Miracle Of Live at a very reasonable price, 10 euros.
Right after, Iron & Wine filled the space (they were 8!). The first song, The Trapeze Swinger was tremendous. It gave me the thrill during 9 minutes. The rest of the show was, let’s say, “cool”, but the music from Iron & Wine didn’t touch me so much that night. Sorry guys, maybe next time.

Web:
elenimandell.com
MySpace: myspace.com/elenimandell
Label: zedtone.com

Eleni Mandell - Girls .mp3
Eleni Mandell - Make-Out King .mp3

Web:
ironandwine.com
MySpace: myspace.com/ironandwine

Iron & Wine - In My Lady's House .mp3
Iron & Wine - The Trapeze Swinger .mp3 via Line Of Best Fit

Photo: KatyEleni Mandell – Le Divan du Monde, Paris – January 19th, 2008

Labels:

javascript hit counter