Monday, April 28, 2008

Tim Buckley - This Song's For You

Some songs haunt your life. Some songs stick in your heart and followed you from the day when you first heard them. Tonight, I won’t talk about Joanne Robertson that I discovered last week as a support act of Emily Jane White or review the Aidan Moffat’s performance held during the Stage Of Art. Later. All I want is to dedicate today’s post to the woman I love. This one is for you Lucky Girl.

Long afloat on shipless oceans
I did all my best to smile
‘til your singing eyes and fingers
Drew me loving to your isle
And you sang
Sail to me
Sail to me
Let me enfold you
Here I am
Here I am
Waiting to hold you…

Song to the Siren's words were written by Tim Buckley's regular lyricist, Larry Beckett. "The imagery comes from Homer's Odyssey," Beckett says in the liner notes to Morning Glory: The Tim Buckley Anthology (2001). "I brought him my copy of the lyrics and put them in front of him while he was eating breakfast. There was a pause, he looked at them, picked up his 12-string guitar, and more or less played the song you hear. There were three or four of us around the table in complete amazement that something so beautiful could be born as we sat there."

Tim Buckley - Song To The Siren .mp3 from Starsailor (1970)
Photo Tim Buckley via flickr.com/photos/nuritwilde

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sadly, the link to the song doesn't seem to work --- it times out. I have never heard the original of this song, but you're probably aware of the amazing cover version by This Mortal Coil (or more precisely, by Cocteau Twins working under the TMC name). I'd love to hear the original, and if you haven't heard the cover version, I very strongly recommend it.

2:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me, the link works. Try again. The cover version by This Mortal Coil is amazing but not better than the original.
jb

7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best version of Song to the Siren is the one performed on the final Monkees tv show by Buckley in 1968. Acoustic, with the original lyrics, it captures the song much better than the Starsailor version. Recently, a demo version from 1970 with the original lyrics was also released and that one is superior to this one too. You can find the Monkees tv show version on youtube. (The link worked for me too, by the way, even though I already had the song.)

8:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

nike air huarache
ugg outlet uk
air jordan 4
canada goose outlet
oakley sunglasses
discount ugg boots
coach outlet store
nike air huarache
ray-ban sunglasses
air max 2014
ysl outlet
nike running shoes
ferragamo outlet
louis vuitton handbags outlet
wellensteyn outlet
michael kors outlet
nike air max uk
thomas sabo outlet
barbour jackets
michael kors outlet online
1202minko

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

javascript hit counter