Friday, April 25, 2008

Emily Jane White - Live @ Paris


I made a big mistake last Wednesday, I thought Emily Jane White was giving her first gig in France but, after reading her bio on her website today, I discovered that she used to play in Bordeaux during a post-collegiate sojourn with her first band the Diamond Star Halos. Anyway, wrong or not, I think it was her first performance in front of a French audience under her own name.
I was quite thrilled to see her on stage after all the good times that I spent last winter listening to the much moving
Dark Undercoat. I was not the only one, the Point Ephemere was almost packed and everybody listened religiously the young Californian girl.
To my own surprise, Emily Jane White didn’t only play songs from her solo album, without introduction she offered few new ones mainly on piano. Also, she was not so much chatty and her behaviour on stage has nothing original, nothing like the young Chan Marshall, she and her contrabass player just stood in the middle of the stage and did their job. Then, there are quite no differences between the interpretation of her songs live and what is on the record, it’s just quite the same.
So what to say? Emily Jane White released an awesome record last year but on stage she’s just a singer-songwriter doing her act with no mistake, nothing fancy. I was expecting something a little bit different. Once again I was wrong with that show… Anyway, I was happy to see her at last and I'm looking forward seeing her again.

Web:
emilyjanewhite.com
MySpace: myspace.com/emilyjanewhite
Label: Double Negative Records

Emily Jane White - Wild Tigers I've Known .mp3
Emily Jane White - Hole In The Middle .mp3
Diamond Star Halos - Snow .mp3
Diamond Star Halos - Wake-up Call .mp3

Photo:
Robert Gil (photosconcerts.com) Emily Jane White – le Point Ephemere, Paris – April 23, 2008 - Les Femmes s'en mèlent - 2008
javascript hit counter