Tuesday, August 07, 2007

The Summer Of Love On Arte


What is Arte? Arte is a French-German TV network, which facilities are located in Strasbourg (headquarters) and Baden-Baden, that aims to promote quality programming related to the world of arts and culture (en.wikipedia).
You all know that the “Summer of Love” is the summer of 1967. In July and August 2007 - 40 years later - Arte offers a very interesting retrospective of films and documentaries regarding that period (1966 to 1970…). You’ll find the complete program (in French or in German, sorry)
here.
I have already seen many of the movies selected by Arte but I was happy to watch them again like Alice’s Restaurant, Barbarella, Gimme Shelter or Tommy. Besides, the more interesting for me were some original documentaries never shown before on TV (as far as I can remember) like
Andy Warhol's Exploding Plastic Inevitable, Ronald Nameth (USA/UK, 1967, 12mn), Turn Me On - 1967, Marc Huraux (FRA, 2007) with Artaud and Alan Ginsberg or Festival Express 1970, Bob Smeaton (GER, 2003) a train crossing Canada from East to West during five days – a moving Festival - where you’ll see Janis Joplin jamming with Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir and Rick Danko. Amazing.
The "Summer Of Love" period produced so many weird and fabulous pictures full of great music and you’re never tired to watch them again and again.

The Mamas And The Papas - California Dreaming .mp3
The Band - The Weight .mp3
The Grateful Dead - Not Fade Away .mp3 via Rock In My World
Janis Joplin - Summertime .mp3

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger irenie said...

Cool news- Thanks for the head's up!

12:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leaky Sparrow, I don't know if you were there or learned about it through other sources. This old geezer was there and I have kept many mementos of that time. My like new copies of Alan Ginsberg's magazine which I bought off the rack. The 33 1/3rpm vinyl records that I bought I still have. For some reason, I decided to copy all the records to cassette tape to save the vinyl so they've been played only once or twice. I kept my Nehru jacket like the Beatles wore but not the wide bell bottom pants or the three inch wide belts that went with them. Nor the pointed toe Turkish Beatle boots. I'm not sure what I'll do with all that stuff and more that I haven't mentioned. Maybe give it away or sell it. I didn't make it to the "summer of love". I was stationed overseas. After I got home, I missed Woodstock in 1969 because mom was very sick. She died just a few months later. Oh well, that's how life works out sometimes. That's all for now.

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. I forgot to say, since you have my email address, you can write if you wish. Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah, or Happy Kwaanza which ever applies. LOLe

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

javascript hit counter