Monday, August 27, 2007

Tegan And Sara - Live @ Cologne


I purchased The Con a couple weeks ago and took it with me during my one week holyday in Cologne. The good surprise for me was that Tegan And Sara were scheduled to play in the Stadtgarten the same week, last Saturday. It was one of the last dates of their European tour; they will start a North American one next September after a short break (see tour dates here).
The Cologne show was sold out since days (400 standing). Several times during the concert the twin sisters thanks the fans for coming as well as the German promoter who believed in them. Because of that, they gave a slight hit to their record company for the lack of support in releasing the record in Europe.
The Con, fifth full-length studio album from Tegan And Sara, is more mature and more complex than the previous one, So Jealous. The more I listen to it the more I like it and I was looking forward to see how they will treat the songs live.
Well, to tell you the truth, I was quite satisfied. I was very impressed by the quality of the show, the sound was perfect and every member of the band functions faultless. First, the girls warmed up the audience with some old songs before they played the new ones from The Icon. Of course, they need to be perform more and more - Sara messed up a little bit with the lyrics of Back In Your Head – but those (short) songs work very well on stage and some of them are potential hits. Like much of the audience, I was very pleased to discover the new live treatment of Are You Ten Years Ago.
All along the evening, the sisters enjoyed to entertain the audience in telling personal “short” stories and jokes. They felt very confident in front this German crowd. I also appreciate the way they introduce each member of the band in telling how they first met.
The show reminds me one evening of October 2002 in Chicago when I saw for the first time Sleater-Kinney. For me, even if the music is quite different, Tegan and Sara showed in Cologne the same energy on stage than the girls from Portland… and they also both have great fans, mainly girls, who of course tried to have the same look than their idols.

Web:
teganandsara.com
MySpace: myspace.com/teganandsara

Tegan And Sara - Back In Your Head .mp3The Con (July 2007)
Tegan And Sara - I Bet It Stung .mp3So Jealous (2004)
Tegan And Sara - Monday Monday Monday .mp3 - If It Was You (2002)

Bonus:
Tegan And Sara - Buried Alive .mp3 (Unreleased) via teganandsara.org

Photo: Lucky Girl - Tegan And Sara in Cologne, Saturday 25, 2007

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, are you aware of the fact that they pretty much sold out ALL the merchandise at the Cologne show? I know it because I went to the show in Munich a few days later and I had all the cash with me to buy a t-shirt or hoodie, and they were all sold out. All they had left were a few posters and some copies of "If It Was You". But the Munich show was great, too. :)

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

javascript hit counter